Onus of pain by Asif Sultan

Onus of Pain
Asif Sultan
12-03-2020

Turned the lights off. I made my bed to sleep. A profound darkness spread all over my room. I slid down in my bed and wrapped my shivering body with a warm cozy blanket swathed with a white covered quilt. Fixed the cushion over the pillow to recline on and started thinking of her till I fall asleep, soon after I slurped down 'some' medicines. I groped for my phone and turned it off and threw it away off my bed- Unlike of my usual way of keeping it on the pillow so close to my ears so that I could hear instantly the ring and receive her call without making her little wait-- Sooner I slid myself under the duvet,  sleep took over me and seized me in a deep slumber. I felt warm, thus was oblivious of everything- calm sleep it was! Suddenly, I woke up squinting my eyes and I found myself completely drenched in cold sweat; trembling and restless I was yearning for her- to hear her solacing voice. I was panting out of breath and stood up and switched on the light, thus roamed within my room for awhile like a wailing woman, though suffocating it was! I couldn't resist myself calling her, I stopped myself again and again but couldn't help. Therefore I jumped towards my phone and switched it on; and called her. The sooner bell rang than she received it.  As she bade Salaam, my restlessness vanished and I felt composed and soothed. I talked to her a lot; I bitterly cried and told her how much lonely I had been without her; I submitted all my grievances to her and complained her of my intense pain. I told her how everyday I wake up with an unbearable onus of pain and longing; I told her about the usual torture of waiting- I told her everything, she didn't talk, but was just crying- she too was missing me badly, she said. Thus I shunned complaining and expressing my terrible wretchedness and tried to tried to pamper her; attempted to cheer her up and make her feel that I was alright. Then, we both started crying. She and I both hiccuping weeping in a same tone...no talks at all, just weeping. Meanwhile, a strange silence took over the night; no one talked, we felt the soothing, rightly so, silence. I imagined of her crying and me wiping her tears with my perspired hands- I fondled her cheeks and cupped her chin in my hand and gave her a tender thump, jestly; she smiled but eyes brimmed with tears...
I shivering, spoke and broke this unusual silence, "Hey Jani!, I whispered.
"Hey love! why don't you talk?" I said again.  "Everything alright?"
No answer...
"Zuvaaa...!", I said a bit louder and I in the spur of a moment opened my eyes. There I was, leaning under my duvet the way I slept, lately. I searched my ears, while uttering her name, for head phone, it wasn't there. Phone was lying at the same place where I kept it off before I slept; and I soaked in sweat and a stream of tears slopping down my cheeks and heart with an onus of pain...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ANCHORING SCRIPT (ANNUAL FUNCTION) MADE BY ASIF SULTAN MATTA.

Anchoring Script for Fancy Dress Competition

QIRAT COMPETITION (ISLAMIC SEMINAR) ANCHORING SCRIPT BY ASIF SULTAN MATTA.